Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

the Hex N More Ruler, part 4!

This is the fourth sample that I made using the Hex N More ruler.  (I will never forget what this ruler is called, because I have now typed it so many times!)

 Today I will describe how to make the honeycomb looking one.
 This is made from one repeated shape, a half-hexagon.
As in my other samples, I used 2-1/2" strips from which to cut my shapes.
Cut them in pairs, because you need two of the same fabric sewn next to each other to obtain the honeycomb effect.
 Lay out pairs of half hexagons to get the honeycomb effect.  This is the time when you can play around with color placement. 
 When you are happy with how the hexagons are placed, fill in the empty spaces on the edges with single half-hexagons:
 I sewed one column of pieces at a time!  This is something that you don't want to get jumbled up by trying to keep track of too many pieces at once.  Trust me on this.
 When pressing these columns, I alternated the direction that the seams go.  (up, down, up, down)
 Sew the columns together.  The seams should nestle together nicely when you"re sewing,
And that is what I have tried doing so far with this ruler.  I really do like it, I think it really makes cutting a breeze.  Also, I got lots of ideas for things to make with it while I was using it.  But, it is nice to test it out using samples in order to get the hang of it. 

By the way, a couple of years ago I could really have used it when I made this Half-Hexagon quilt. 
I did it the hard way by figuring out the template on paper.  Also, when using paper templates you have to be pretty careful when you're cutting so that you don't make the template smaller as you cut...
This is a "low-volume" quilt, or a "blended" quilt, where the fabrics are not too far different in the range of value from light to dark.



No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Recent topics;